Here's what some visitors feel.

Author: Mamata Volvoikar /

While walking the walk, I did interact with a lot of people. Some first time visitors, and some frequent visitors.

"The walk is always enriching. This is, I think, my 5th visit to the walk and I still never get bored of it. I like the way the name is written. Very clear, very specific. This has to be designed for the local minds, and not for designers mind. The other communication material needs to be worked out. Needs to decide what information to give and what not to."
Natasha Jay Singh (5th visit to the walk)


Wolfgang Eilrich was on a 14-day trip to Mumbai- Ahmedabad- Chandigarh- Delhi- Agra- Jaipur in a group of about 25 urban and traffic planner from several towns in Germany. He had three interesting days stay in Ahmedabad and during this time he went for the Heritage Walk.

Wolgang wanted to connect his digital photos with the Heritage Walk. He tried to upload them on Google-Earth, but Google doesn’t show the name of the buildings. So he wanted a special map of the walk, like the one I have uploaded on my blog. And that's how the conversation began...

1. Your experience (in total) about the walk. (goods and bads)

"I think it is a wonderful idea to create such a walk. On condition that there are a lot of interesting points in a town I like it to walk from one point to the other. And you have this situation in Ahmedabad (goods).

But when I walk like this - from point to point - , I also want to do it possibly alone without a guide. I saw no signs during the tour showing me the way. Maybe it was my problem, because we had a normal guided tour. But in other towns we walked parts of a town a second time alone and then it would be helpful to see signs to find the way. At other points during our round trip through India, we saw signs at highlight points with English explanations. In the time of digital photos we often take a photo of this explanations. Last point: the guide we had was – compared to other cities in India – not very talkative (bads)."

2. Your say on the Identity of the ' Heritage Walk of Ahmedabad' and the other communication material given (like the brochure n the map).

"I think the communication material is too poor or scanty. If there is more material existing it was not offered during our walk. To a lot of points in India I can find further informations in the web so that I can edit my photos at home. The brochure in the web to the Heritage walk in Ahmedabad has at several points only a link to a photo site without more informations to the specific point. And this photo is very small. This should be completed urgent. A map as on your blog-site would be helpful (I hope you won’t forget me)."

3. Any suggestion that you would like to give.
See above

"Altogether is the Heritage walk a wonderful idea, but the informations of Ahmedabad in the printed or digital way here in Germany are very scanty."
Wolfgang Eilrich (Germany)

Shiho Kitto
, a photography student from UK, walked the walk with me. Here's what she had to say.

1. An Iconic image is needed for the walk which should be identified by the tourists as well as the locals.
2. Signage or maps are required at the locations, in case anyone wants to visit alone.
3. The present identity is more like a European and less like that of Ahmedabad. Could belong to any place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment