Ahmedavadis say...

Author: Mamata Volvoikar /

The visitors visit their lanes every morning, watch them work and actually have a peep into their lifestyles. How is it affecting them? Are they gaining anything out of it?

To understand this, I spent a day at the old city, talking to the people and trying to know how much they know about the walk and the heritage. Here are few of those residents of the city whom I spoke to.






Gordhan Das, an old man who eats, sleeps and leaves on the platform outside the Harkunwar Ni Haveli the whole day says that, more than Indians it's the foreigners who know more and appreciate the buildings.
"Look at the Nakshi kaam (fine wooden carvings), all these great artists died. No one now a days will have the patience to do it again." Gordhan Das says.






"Every day while washing clothes I see them (visitors) walk from here. They click my pictures, some even send them to me. I don't mind," says Maina Ben, who washes clothes outside the Kala Ramji Temple every day.

The roads are always littered by dung. Here are the one's responsible for doing their duty very sincerely every day.





"The visitors don't bother us. But I don't allow them to take my picture as I fear that they will misuse them," says another resident of the pol.





"Being a big house I do have cleaning problems", says Jyoti Ben who keeps herself busy by decorating her own dresses.





" Humara photo pure world me hoga (our photos will be there in the entire world)", says proudly Manjula Ben, that even the Queen of Thaialand has got her pictures. She irons clothes of the people of the surrounding areas every day outside the Astapadji Jain Temple.





Jitu Bhai Zaveri is aware of the rain water harvesting system (zero bacteria) of the pols at old city and says that there is a huge water tank just below the place he is sitting. He is a gold smith owing a small shop outside the Harkunvar Ni Haveli.





M.Amin a devotee who came to pray at the Jumma Masjid says that the city is more than 600 years old, built by Ahmed Shah, who got the fragrance from the soil of the city and knew that this would be one of the most prosperous city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment